Most people who experience hair loss tend to focus on the hair rather than the scalp on which it grows. Very few people stop to consider the huge contribution a healthy scalp makes to the overall appearance of good hair. Ignoring the skin layer that accommodates each hair follicle is a big mistake. It is akin to a gardener overlooking the ground from which her precious plants spring. Nourishing your scalp is vital, and you will need an effective scalp treatment to do that. What should you look for in a scalp treatment? What ingredients will help you achieve a healthier scalp? Read on to find out the tried and tested ingredients you should include in a hair treatment mask.
Scalp Treatment Versus Hair Loss Treatments
Before we dig deeper into what makes for a great scalp treatment regimen, let’s take a step back and look at how typical hair loss treatments work. Many of them target the “root” of the problem. For example, if it’s hereditary hair loss with which you’re struggling, you’re probably focusing your efforts on hormone neutralising products such as DHT blockers. Products in this category that you should consider are anti-DHT shampoos, which can help combat the effects of DHT. Minoxidil and finasteride are two of the top products in this range.
While anti-DHT products focus on revitalising the hair follicle itself, they do nothing to improve the scalp’s overall health. To keep your scalp in tip-top condition, you need to shift your focus and look at a different product category.
This is where antimicrobial and antifungal ingredients appear in the picture. A typical ingredient of these properties is tea tree oil, which keeps sebum and oil production in check while preventing scalp irritation and dandruff. Next, you want to provide nourishment for the follicle. Fighting DHT is one thing; strengthening the follicles with the right type of nutrition is quite another. To take the gardening analogy a step further, weeding your garden does not necessarily make the soil healthy. Providing your scalp with the food it needs to support healthy follicles is vital.
The Key Ingredients Every Scalp Treatment Should Have
A good scalp treatment will not only leave your scalp nourished but also clean and healthy. A healthy scalp provides the perfect environment for hair follicles to do their thing, namely growing healthy hair. Below are some of the most potent natural ingredients you could wish for in a scalp treatment or conditioning product.
- Tea Tree Oil – has antifungal properties which help it to neutralise bacterial growth and fungal buildup. Tea tree oil helps regulate oil production by the sebaceous glands, prevents dandruff and promotes blood supply to the hair follicles. Better circulation ensures improved nutrient delivery, leading to thicker and healthier hair growth.
- Green Tea Extract – it has long been believed that green tea’s antifungal and antimicrobial properties can prevent scalp infections and dandruff. Green tea is also jam-packed with antioxidants that protect the scalp’s delicate and sensitive skin cells from damage. The nutrients it contains also nourish the hair follicles directly.
- Aloe Vera – a common ingredient in after-sun products or used in its natural form as a sunburn remedy, aloe vera is a versatile little plant. It is full of polysaccharides which are renowned for their anti-inflammatory and hydrating properties. When used in scalp treatment, it can resolve issues like itching, dryness and irritation quickly.
- Keratin – is all the rave these days. A keratin treatment protects your existing hair by enriching each strand and creating a coating that traps moisture, making your hair look thicker and fuller.
- Ceramides – help to lock in moisture in your hair and scalp while also strengthening your hair at the same time. Ceramides are the glue that holds your hair strands intact, without which hair breaks easily.
How To Treat Your Scalp
Wash your hair, as usual, using your favourite shampoo, but don’t use conditioner. Next, towel dry your hair and create a blank canvas free from shampoo residues. Take a small amount of your chosen scalp treatment product and gently massage it into your scalp. Once your scalp is covered, work the rest of the product through your hair.
Leave the scalp treatment product to rest for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, follow your product’s specific instructions. Tea tree oil produces a tingling sensation similar to peppermint. That’s a good response because it shows the product is doing its job. Rinse the product out of your hair and towel dry. You’re now ready to style as you please.
Sometimes You Need More Than A Scalp Treatment
As important as it is to have a healthy scalp, some hair loss conditions will still happen come what may. If you’re struggling with hair loss despite your scalp treatments, you may need to seek the advice of a hair loss specialist. Vinci Hair Clinic can help you get to the bottom of any hair loss condition, hereditary or otherwise. For a comprehensive consultation, book your free appointment with a hair specialist at Vinci Hair Clinic today!