It is easy to start panicking if you start to notice lots of hair left in the drain after washing, or on your brush after styling. Are these the first signs that you are going to end up bald?

Normal Hair Loss

To answer this question, the first thing you will want to ascertain, is whether you’re really losing more hair than normal. Research has shown that on average, we lose between 50 and 100 hairs each day. This is completely natural, and although it might seem like a high number, it is actually only a small proportion of the total number of strands on your head (which varies from 90,000 to 150,000).

The Life Cycle of a Hair

The reason that everyone experiences a certain amount of shedding is because each hair has a limited life-cycle. In normal conditions, around 80% of your hair is in the growth stage, which lasts from three to six years. The other 20% of your hair is in the resting stage, when hair no longer grows but sits dormant on the head for around three months, before moving into the shedding phase, and falling out to be replaced by a new hair.

When Hair Loss is a Problem

Hair loss starts to become a concern when you start to consistently lose more than 100 hairs per day and new hair is not growing in its place. There are a wide range of reasons why this can happen, including nutritional deficiencies, stress, hormonal changes, traction alopecia, alopecia areata and pattern baldness. It is important to get expert advice to diagnose exactly why your hair is falling out, so that you can get the right treatment to remedy the problem.

Expert Advice from Vinci Hair Clinic

Vinci Hair Clinic are specialists in treating male and female hair loss problems, offering state of the art hair restoration solutions at their clinics around the world. They provide free advice and consultations to individuals who are worried about hair loss and would like to know what they can do about it. The treatments recommended will depend on the individual’s condition, but may include medications (finasteride or minoxidil), hair transplant surgery, scalp pigmentation, PRP therapy or LLLT laser cap therapy.

 

 

 

How Much Hair Loss is Normal?