Although over 90 percent of hair loss causes are linked to genetics, there are other lifestyle and wellbeing causes such as stress. The link between stress and hair loss is one not many people are aware of. Due to the length of the hair growth cycle, many people fail to connect the stress episode as the cause when their hair starts falling out further down the line.
Three types of stress-related hair loss
Stress has been identified as a leading cause in three types of hair loss. These types of hair loss are as follows:
- Alopecia areata is a sudden loss of hair in clumps from small areas of the scalp. This hair loss condition is often reversible.
- Telogen effluvium is a condition resulting in the disruption of the hair growth phase. Stress and anxiety trigger hair follicles to enter a resting phase, preventing growth. Eventually, hair begins to fall out as the hair follicles die off.
- Trichotillomania is a compulsive response to stress and anxiety where people pull out hair without being aware of it.
The sudden onset of hair loss may be due to stress and anxiety, so it is important to remember this if you do not have any family history of hair loss. Often, dealing with the cause of stress is enough to restore hair growth. Next, we discuss the ways to prevent or stop hair loss due to stress.
Eliminating the cause of stress will, in many cases, reverse the effects of stress-related hair loss. The following will help alleviate emotional and physical stress:
- Get adequate sleep: Professionals recommend seven to eight hours of sleep every night. Adequate sleep allows your body to rest and the cells of the body to rejuvenate.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet: Eating a balanced diet provides your body with the nutrients it needs to promote hair growth and a healthy scalp. Ensure your diet is rich in vitamins A, C, E, zinc, selenium and magnesium.
- Seek professional advice: Whatever is causing you stress (health, finances, relationships), it always helps to speak to someone and seek help. Dealing with the root cause of stress is the surest way of eliminating stress.
If you are worried about hair loss or you are experiencing hair loss, Vinci Hair Clinic has offices all around the world. The hair experts are available to speak to you if you want to discuss solutions to your hair loss problems.