Is it possible to make hair grow faster? How much hair loss is normal? Find out the answers to these questions and more in this guide to the hair growth cycle.
Explaining the Hair Growth Cycle
Our hair follows a natural growth cycle which has three stages. During the anagen (growing) stage, protein cells at the follicle root use nutrients from the blood supply to multiply. They form a strand of hair, which pushes its way up out of the skin. The anagen phase lasts between two and seven years before moving into a transitional stage called catagen. At this point, the hair detaches from the root to prepare for shedding. This period lasts for around two weeks before moving into the telogen stage. Also known as the resting stage, this is when hair falls out to make room for new growth and lasts around 3 months.
When the hair growth cycle is functioning correctly, around 80% of the follicles will be in the anagen stage at any one time. Shedding around 100 strands of hair each day is normal and will not have any impact on the overall density. However, there are several factors which can interrupt the hair growth cycle, prematurely moving follicles into the shedding stage. This condition is called telogen effluvium and can be triggered by illness, stress, hormonal changes, inadequate nutrition and some medications.
How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
Hair grows an average of 0.5 to 1.7cm per month with slight variations determined by age, sex, genetics and diet. There isn’t much that you can do to speed up your hair growth. However, you can take steps to keep the follicles healthy and reduce the risk of developing hair loss due to telogen effluvium.
- Follow a healthy diet which includes a wide variety of fruit, vegetables and sources of protein, such as meat, fish and legumes.
- Fill any potential nutritional gaps by using Vinci Vitruvian Line, a vitamin and mineral supplement designed to support hair growth
- Reduce stress by including regular relaxation time in your routine
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule
- Consider using follicle-health boosting treatments such as PRP Therapy, LLLT and Mesotherapy. You can find out more about these from experts at Vinci Hair Clinic.